In honor of all the fantastic blog partying that's going on right now (thanks to 5 Minutes for Mom), I thought I would share a few random things about myself that you may or may not know:
1. I'm obsessed with collecting brochures. Whenever I go to a hotel or a tourist attraction, I always leave with a stash of them. I love how they're colorful and glossy and I really enjoy reading them. I'll even call local hotels in my city and ask them to send me a brochure. I have piles of them sitting at home taking up space, but I like reading them too much, I can't get rid of them!
2. I'm a ballerina. Well, I retired after I had my baby but "once a dancer, always a dancer" right? I majored in ballet in college and I've performed with a few companies so I guess you could say I was pretty into it. Any fellow dancers out there?
3. I know I'm a girl, but I love to play video games! Whenever we have company over and they see the Nintendo, they always assume that my husband is the gamer. Actually my husband couldn't care less about video games. It's always fun to correct them and say that they're mine.
4. This is a weird quirk, but whenever I open a book or a magazine or a brochure I have to smell the pages! I can't read anything until I have done this. The better it smells, the more I enjoy whatever it is that I'm reading. I just love that "new book" smell!
5. I don't really know if I have a favorite movie or not, but if you were to ask me I would say it is "Miracle." I'm not a sports fan at all, so I'm not sure why I like this movie so much.It probably has something do with the fact that the sport in question is hockey and I'm originally from Canada. I also love how inspirational it is. It's really a "feel good" movie.
6. My favorite words are "myriad" and "scintillating."
7. It's my goal to write a children's book one day.
8. It's my secret ambition to be a detective. I'm not really serious about pursuing that, but I love a good mystery. Sometimes when something has gone missing in the house I'll go about looking for it like a detective would. I really enjoy searching for "clues" and then rifling through the "evidence" in order to find what I'm looking for. I feel really triumphant whenever I solve a "case."
9. My husband and I watch our movies with the subtitles on. I'm not talking about foreign films (although we love to watch those too.) I mean we watch regular, American movies with the English subtitles on. We got the idea from a friend who always did that. At first I thought it was strange, but then we did it and discovered that you really understand and get more out of the movie when you do this. Also, in the past we would sometimes fast forward if the movie was boring but we still wanted to see the end...but then we would end up missing some major story in the plot and be confused. With the subtitles, you can fast forward and still "read" the movie AND not be so bored! Okay moving on...
10. Finally, I have to have a glass of "blue" milk every Christmas. This is regular milk that has been dyed blue with food coloring. This came about when I was little, and my mom used to buy the milk carton with the blue cow on it. In my childish mind I believed that the milk was actually blue. For some reason I was fascinated with this and so I would ask for blue milk every Christmas. My request was always ignored and nobody ever thought anything of it, until one day as a teenager the painful memories came back to haunt me and I began to cry. Needless to say, my request was never ignored again and my husband knows that I expect it every Christmas. It tastes really yummy, too!
Now that I've shared some things about myself, tell me something about you!