HOME------ABOUT ME------COLUMNS------ADVERTISE------CONTACT

Friday, July 31, 2009

Grammar For All

I'm probably in the minority here, but I really enjoy learning about grammar. I've always found it gratifying to be able to write correctly and for the most part, the rules of grammar make sense to me. That said, there are certain areas that I never really "got" and here is where Marian Anders' book My Dog Bites The English Teacher - Practical Grammar Made Quick and Easy comes in handy.

The book serves as a user-friendly guide to help students understand grammar and punctuation in a way that makes logical sense. It's divided into ten chapters, with the most essential information at the beginning. The first chapter for example, focuses on being able to find the verb and subject in sentences. It sounds a bit overwhelming, but Anders has a fool-proof way of identifying them that works every time! I also appreciated the chapter on commas because that's something that I always struggled with. I love how there are exercises throughout the book for you to practice the skills you are learning as you go along. Most importantly, it's a fascinating read. The subject of grammar has a reputation of being boring, but this book utilizes light-hearted sentences that keep it from being too dry.

If you've ever been frustrated by things like modifiers, comma splices, run-on sentences, or apostrophes this book is for you. It would make a great gift for kids wanting to improve their writing or learn grammar. For more information, check out the website here. Happy learning!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...