HOME------ABOUT ME------COLUMNS------ADVERTISE------CONTACT

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My Son's New Favorite Show - Ni Hao, Kai- Lan

We don't watch television at our place, so my son hasn't seen very many of the popular kid's shows out there. He does have a few DVD's that he watches faithfully, and now he has a new favorite. I remember reading about Ni Hao, Kai-Lan in a parenting magazine. It struck me because I'm half Chinese and so I thought the concept of the show was kind of neat. Therefore, when I was presented with an opportunity to review the newly released Ni Hao, Kai-Lan's Great Trip to China DVD, I was honestly more interested in seeing it for myself, rather than my son.

It has become his all time favorite show. Literally, from the moment I put it on for him he was glued to the screen, and that is rare for him. He has an extremely short attention span and there aren't a lot of things that will hold his attention like that. He watched the whole DVD from start to finish, and when it was over he wanted to watch it again. He would seriously watch it all day if I let him. I'm not sure what it is about this show that he loves so much, but the cute songs and animals may have something to do with it. I think the introduction to Mandarin Chinese is wonderful. The DVD includes a double episode where Kai-Lan and her friends go to China and meet some adorable panda bears, and two additional single episodes. I love the bright, happy colors and the positive nature of the show. There are only two things that I would improve - I would have liked to have seen a pronunciation guide and/or the spelling of the words learned in each episode. In addition, I thought that the words "super" and "awesome" were used just a tad excessively, but that's just me. My son is absolutely nuts for Kai-Lan and that makes me super happy!


post signature

1 comment:

  1. We love Ni Hao and my daughter is totally into saying all the words!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...