HOME------ABOUT ME------COLUMNS------ADVERTISE------CONTACT

Monday, June 21, 2010

The Happy Little Mail Truck

Every time I see a mail truck I get incredibly happy. And you know what's even better? That satisfying "thud" as your mail lands in your mailbox, and you get to go out and pick it up. This has been one of my favorite things to do since I was a child. Every time I hear the mail come I rush to go and get it so that I can hold it in my hands. Sometimes it's something cool, like a free sample, a magazine or a product to review. Other times the box iis filled with bills, which is not quite as much fun. Then there's the best kind of mail of all, the personal letters and cards.

I try to remember to send personal notes every once in a while, because it's just too easy to email or text these days. I used to write tons of letters growing up. Every summer I would go away to a ballet summer program, get addresses from new friends and write to them throughout the year I even had a couple of pen pals who I never met from around the world. I kept every letter I received so if you sent something to me twenty years ago, I've probably still got it somewhere.

I've noticed recently that my three year old son gets just as excited as me when the mail comes. I think that along with my love of chips, I've passed the love of mail on to him. Whenever the mail comes, he exclaims "Yay! Get mail!" and then rushes to put his shoes on. Then we go out together to pick it up. If there's a package, he runs and gets the special "package opener" for me and can barely contain himself as I tear open the box. And call me crazy, but I actually love it when we're going away and I get to put the mail on hold, because then I come back to a whole pile of stuff that I get to paw through.

Whenever I get a magazine in the mail, I have to tear out all the inserts before I can read it. I get that from my mom. Now my son is obsessed with getting the mail like his mom. How about you? What kinds of things have you passed on to your kids?

post signature

4 comments:

  1. I love "real" mail too! One of the reasons I got into stamping thinking I can send cards at random just to say hello to people. It didn't quite work out that way but hopefully when I get upacked in september I can get back on track!

    My other love is the smell of new books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mail too! And, Levi is following in my footsteps. He gets so excited about checking the mail. I think he just likes that he can reach the box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love getting the mail too. Sometimes I check it 2-3 times a day, and it's a sad day when I don't get anything (even junk mail). My kids love it too. When they get letters, we save it for them so they can open it themselves.
    I don't know what I've passed on to my kids though. Hunter and Brooke are a little too clean, but they get that from their dad. I guess if I have to pick, it would be creativity. They can think of amazing things and draw it out. I hope they can keep that going. I love post like this. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're the same way around here! It's such a treat to open up the mailbox and see what is inside. :)

    stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...