HOME------ABOUT ME------COLUMNS------ADVERTISE------CONTACT

Friday, November 8, 2013

"The very fabric of reality is going to be torn apart!"

If you like movies with lines of dialogue like the title of this post, I have a recommendation to make. My name is Hubby and I'll be your guest reviewer on Mama Sparkles today. You see, we're going to be talking about Thor 2: The Dark World, the new movie from Marvel Studios, which my wife sent me to watch in her place because she's a nice person like that AND because she knows I'm what comic book geeks call a "Marvel Zombie" (a person who prefers the Marvel brand to the DC brand - think Coke versus Pepsi). Now maybe you know nothing about comic books. That's okay! To be perfectly honest, Thor was always my least favorite member of The Avengers superhero group but there were other geeky things I enjoyed in the movie, like the new Marvel logo in 3-D and a steampunky clockwork field generator (about halfway through). Now maybe you prefer sparkly vampires to fantasy and science fiction. That's okay! When lead actor Chris Hemsworth is first reunited with his long-lost love Natalie Portman, it's raining and they kiss just like in that scene from The Notebook. You don't get passion like that whenever Iron Man or Captain America kiss their girlfriends!

Don't let the first mention of "dark" elves scare you away either. This movie is nowhere as dark as all the other recent movies to include that word in their titles (The Dark Knight, Dark Shadows, Star Trek Into Darkness) nor is it that similar to The Lord of the Rings even though these elves do speak in their own language and there are subtitles. No, I would compare this movie more to that totally '80s classic, Masters of the Universe, which was the first movie I ever saw that combined lasers and spaceships with swords and sorcery. If you're a mommy blogger around my age, can you really deny having fond memories of that He-Man spin-off cartoon, She-Ra: Princess of Power, if not of Dolph Lundgren dressed like a barbarian? Okay, maybe not that last part, but it does paint a picture that's not too far off from a naked Chris Hemsworth taking a sponge bath in Thor 2. What I meant to say is that there's just as much "grrl power" in this movie as there was in She-Ra, what with Thor's mom (Rene Russo) and childhood friend (Jaimie Alexander) adequately handling their weaponry. In fact, the thing I liked best about the first movie was that they reversed the cliché damsel in distress storyline at the end by making Thor the one who was stranded in his own dimension while his astrophysicist girlfriend had to come up with a solution.

If you're still with me up to this point and you actually have seen all the other Marvel Studios movies, you might ask me how this superhero sequel stacks up against all the others released this year. Then I would ask you if you prefer your action movies to include more comedy or thrills. To the former, I'd recommend Iron Man 3, since I think the little kid (Ty Simpkins) in that movie was funnier than the loopy scientist (Stellan Skarsgård) on Thor 2. If the latter, I'd recommend The Wolverine, because there are way more swords and the stuntmen seem to know better what to do with them. But Thor 2 is the best if you're looking for action with romance. Not that you asked, but I wouldn't recommend the Superman reboot Man of Steel to anyone, and not just because I prefer Marvel to DC characters either. And with that I've come full circle to the original comic books. To my fellow readers I will end by saying I liked the diversity they added to the Warriors Three, if any character gets a spin-off movie, it should be Heimdall (Idris Elba) because he's the man, and last but not least, I can't wait to see if they ever pull off the Infinity Gauntlet on the big screen.


*Thank you to Disney for my first-ever screening pass.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...